January 29, 2010

Chasing Tale in January

If not for winning a couple of book blog contests, I wouldn't have bothered with a Chasing Tale blog entry this month. I didn't get out to troll the shops but once this month. I don't know about you, but I find it a bit therapeutic at times to meander the aisles of a bookstore when I get the chance. Back in my college days, I did the same kind of thing at the L.C. (liquor commission, for the uninitiated). What can I say? My tastes have changed.

Here's what I received in January ...

Deadtown by Nancy Holzner (signed) - I won this novel from Nancy herself via a contest hosted by Fantasy Literature. It's urban fantasy with a sense of humor, which is right up my alley when it comes to urban fantasy. A shape-shifting demon hunter trying to avenge her father's death, while coping with a vampire roommate, werewolf boyfriend, and zombie protégé? Yeah, I'll give that a shot.

Voyeurs of Death by Shaun Jeffrey (e-book) - I can't recall where I saw the link for this free novella on Scribd, but at any rate I've got it now (might have been Horror World). I've no clue what it's about, but I recognize the authors name from a novel that caught a little buzz last year, which was called The Kult. I think a novella is the perfect size e-book for me, since I'm still sans e-reader. I hope it's good.

Armageddon Bound by Tim Marquitz (e-book) - I recently entered a contest to win a signed paperback of this title, but alas, it was not to be. I did, however, snag a free e-book edition of the title from Tim Marquitz, himself, so I could review it. The premise sounds like urban fantasy blended with some horror and noir for good measure. I think I can get on board with that.

Cruel Shoes by Steve Martin - Even though the 21st century has been remiss in providing Steve Martin with quality comedic roles in movies, he still has the three preceding decades on which to hang his hat. This book came out in the late seventies, during what might be considered Martin's wildest of days. And his best. I think the eighties or nineties were pretty good to him, but the height of his stand-up career occurred during the days of bell bottoms and gas shortages. It'll be interesting to read something in his own words, as I've yet to read his latest work, Born Standing Up.

Naked Pictures of Famous People by Jon Stewart - Another book of humor to add to my shelves. I'm a fan of the Daily Show, though I don't get to watch it as often as I used to. The man has a wit that's acerbic, concise, and charming. I'm hoping this book contains more of the same. If nothing else, it'll be interesting for me to see how his style of humor may have changed between now and the late nineties, when this book was published.

And then there was the cornucopia of books I won from Brande @ Book Junkie. Thirty-five books to commemorate her thirty-fifth birthday in December, and my name was the one of over 1300 to be drawn. I've never read a romance novel in my life--I don't count Twilight--but made my resolution for this year to cast an even wider net in my reading habits. I dare say my dance card with the romance writers of the world is filled in 2010. I haven't received them all yet, but that's only because the paper books are taking the snail mail route. They should arrive in early February.

Here are the e-books I've received so far from Brande and the authors:

  • Wolf Signs by Vivian Arend
  • Bella Signorina by Denyse Bridger
  • Come Monday by Mari Carr
  • Three to Play by Kris Cook
  • Cabin Fever by Alisha Rai
  • Club Shadowlands by Cherise Sinclair
  • Slave Castle by Claire Thompson.


  1. Those are awesome books you received this month!

    I just bought Deadtown and after hearing so many great reviews I can't wait to start it.

  2. Yeah, it was pretty entertaining. My review is scheduled to be posted on Feb 9th.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...