December 30, 2009

Wish List Wednesday #27: The Alchemy of Stone

I'm not familiar with Ekaterina Sedia, but I've seen mention of a recent novel of hers that strikes me as a potentially great read. It's called The Alchemy of Stone.

It sounds like it might fall into, or at least dangle over the precipice of, steampunk science-fiction. describes the novel's plot as "a clockwork cyborg caught up in a workers' revolution." I think I could dig into a novel with that kind of approach to the subject matter.

What makes it even more intriguing for me is the fact that the creator of The Sarah Connor Chronicles--that ill-fated and ill-executed Fox TV show--Josh Friedman apparently said he wanted to tackle similar themes of The Alchemy of Stone in his television show. I hold a strong appreciation for the first two Terminator films. The third one disappointed me, as it was basically a multi-million dollar political campaign for Arnold in his bid to become California's governor. The Sarah Connor Chronicles only served to deaden my love for the Terminator mythos further, as the casting choices were predominantly poor and the storylines meandered between plodding and preposterous--but this isn't about my lament for a failed franchise, it's about a promising novel.

Where a television show failed, Sedia's novel could very well succeed, and I would very much enjoy an opportunity to read it and see for myself. She's also edited a werewolf anthology, Running with the Pack, due out in 2010 that looks interesting.


  1. I love the cover. I haven't heard of this author before but I may have to check this one out :)

  2. The cover does look very intresting. Story sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing this one!

  3. Yeah, you can't judge a book by its cover, but you can sure judge a cover by its cover. And that's a gorgeous piece of artwork.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...