December 2, 2009

Wish List Wednesday #23: "The Dead-Tossed Waves"

Carrie Ryan's debut novel, The Forest of Hands and Teeth, was one of my favorite reads of 2009. It works well as a stand-alone work, but when I realized that there was going to be a sequel, I knew I had to place it on my wish list. The second book of this trilogy, The Dead-Tossed Waves, has high expectations from me.

But I must say, it's a bit perplexing how the sequel could come out so quickly. The last I had read, The Dead-Tossed Waves was scheduled for release in late November, which is only months after the release of The Forest of Hands and Teeth in the early summer. I'd have expected a follow-up book to be held back until next summer, or late spring at the earliest. Not that I'm complaining, but it's just that it seems kind of rushed. Maybe Ryan and her publisher want to capitalize on the momentum that the story has going for it--Hands and Teeth has been optioned to a movie studio, after all.

Personally, I'm not asking for miracles from this book. I stopped expecting "better" from sequels with the humdrum efforts of Hollywood. Books are a different breed though, and I usually find the best of a sequel while I'm reading it. So, if The Dead-Tossed Waves can make par with its riveting predecessor, I'll be a happy camper.

EDIT: Thanks to Cate Gardener for pointing out that the release date is likely wrong. I checked it out, and sure enough, Amazon has it listed to be released in March of 2010. Good to know.


  1. I thought it wasn't out until next year. Forest was one of my favourite reads of 2009 too.

  2. Hmmm. Maybe it is next year. I only went by what was posted on another book blog about its impending release. I'll have to look up Carrie Ryan's site or something to find out for sure. Thanks for the heads-up.

  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...