December 17, 2009

My Reading List for the Winter

As winter fast approaches, my narrow-mindedness starts to bubble up about global warming. It usually sounds like, "What's taking so long?" Mind you, since I'm built like a polar bear, I'm more suited for cold weather than hot. So, I keep my kvetching to a minimum about the ice and snow. The silver lining to all that cold weather is the fact that I get an excuse to curl up under a blanket at night with a book. And with a to-be-read pile that is obscene in length, I have no shortage in reading material. I thought I'd share six titles that I'm looking forward to reading while I rekindle my addiction to hot chocolate and marshmallows--Mmm ... marshmallows.

World War Z by Max Brooks - This "Oral History of the Zombie War" was given to me by Celia of Adventures of Cecelia Bedelia, and I'm looking very much forward to sitting down and finally reading it. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of journal entry style fiction, I'm more than willing to make an exception for this title that seems to be one of the preeminent titles in zombie fiction. Some people are gaga over the walking dead, while I'm lukewarm. I enjoy zombie tales when they bring something new to the table, rather than imitating what George Romero has already done, and this book sounds like it fits the bill.

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare - It was about a year ago when I read the first book in Clare's Mortal Instruments series, City of Bones. I really liked it, and I'm finally making time to read the second installment in the series. The way the first book left off with a cliffhanger after a major swerve irked me, and I'm hopeful the second book doesn't treat me the same way. The third book, City of Glass, is out on shelves now--I hope it doesn't take me another year for me to get around to reading that one.

Spook Country by William Gibson - I don't read enough science-fiction. So, if I'm going to then I should read some of the best. William Gibson gets enough praise, so I think he's a great writer to start with in 2010. A story set in a near-future America, about a journalist out to find a secret agent who is nearly impossible to track down unless he wants to find you. I have another of Gibson's books, Count Zero, sitting on my to-be-read pile, but Spook Country sounds too good to pass up.

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill - This might be the one novel among the six that I'm most looking forward to reading. An aging rock star with a penchant for collecting macabre items purchases the suit of a dead man because it's reputed to be haunted. After it arrives in a black heart-shaped box, that's when the rock star realizes that this is one piece of memorabilia that ain't just a conversation piece. I've read nothing but good things about this novel since I first heard about it. It's also one of three Stoker Award winning novels on this reading list. I have a feeling this will become part of my permanent collection.

Duma Key by Stephen King - I'm a mark for King's writing. Sue me. This one sounds like a potential classic among all of his works, so I will be reading it before I get around to finishing the amazing Dark Tower series. It deals with a divorced man still dealing with the aftermath of losing his right arm, his job, and his wife. After moving from Minnesota for the Florida keys, he befriends an old woman as he discovers the catharsis of painting. But his creations hold a dark power with a connection to the old woman's past. Oh yeah, this is gonna be good.

Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry - Aside from digging the cover for this novel, I really dig the premise. Thirty years after a serial killer wreaked bloody havoc on the otherwise mild Pennsylvania town of Pine Deep, "The Spookiest Town in America" is gearing up for a huge Halloween extravaganza ... but something even more evil than that one killer is gearing up for an extravaganza of its own. This is the first novel of a trilogy, and I've got a sneaking suspicion that this will be a very rewarding series.


  1. Nice list! Hope you enjoy the reading... (and the marshmallows)!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...