November 20, 2009

Writing Like Crazy: Autumn '09

It must be a couple of months since I did one of these segments. I'm still writing like crazy, but the progress bar hasn't been moving forward as fast lately.

The deadline is fast approaching for The Literary Lab's Genre Wars. I have until the end of November to get any entries in that I hope to submit. I have two stories lined up for submission--one in the horror genre and the other leaning more towards fantasy. The first is a 1,000 word piece of flash fiction I've beefed up to about 1,500 words, after having it critiqued over at Critters. I ought to be able to get that e-mailed out today. And, as for the second piece, I believe it needs another draft. It's another reworking of a shorter piece, but this process is a bit more involved since the original incarnation weighed in at a mere 250 words. Literary Lab has their word limits set between 1 and 2,000 words, and right now it's not quite 900 words in length. I'm going to see what I can do to retool it without bloating the story unnecessarily.

I also received another acceptance for a submitted short story. I'll refrain from going into much detail about it,since the editor hasn't made an announcement on the full list of acceptances for the anthology, yet. Once I get word on the nitty gritty of how the book is shaping up, what kind of final edits will be required of my story, and--not to mention--when it hits the shelves, I'll add a blog entry about it. It's one I'm particularly interested in, as all of the stories revolve around a very cool theme that's a bit apocalyptic in nature. So, stay tuned for that one.

My zombie short story, which I'll inevitably submit to Dark Moon Books' "Zombie Short Story Contest," is currently being in the Critters queue for critiques. The deadline for submissions is January 1st, and I should receive my critiques in early December, so that should give me plenty of time to work on it and get it just right. Winning entries for that one are apparently going to be included in Dark Moon Anthology: A Collection of Zombie Short Stories. Neat.

On the novel rewrites front, I'll sum it up with one word: Grrr.


  1. Hi there,
    It's nice to hear about all the writing you are doing, and congratulations on the acceptance! I just wanted to clarify something about the Genre Wars contest. The word limit isn't set between 1,000 and 2,000 words. It's set between 1 and 2,000 words, so 900 would be just fine. :)

  2. Davin - Ah, thanks for the correction. Misread that on the Literary Lab's announcement. I'll fix that on the blog post today.

    Cate - Thanks.

  3. All good stuff, Gef. Keep up the great work!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...