November 11, 2009

Wish List Wednesday #20: "The Rising"

Earlier this year, I had the chance to read one of Brian Keene's novels, Ghost Walk. I liked it a fair bit, but I felt like I was reading a sequel--turns out there is a preceding books called Dark Hollow. Regardless, I really like Keene's way of weaving a story and have been patiently waiting for an opportunity to read another of his novels.

At the top of the list from his works is his debut novel, The Rising. The post-apocalyptic, zombie-laden novel must be pretty good because it won a Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel, and Keene has gone on to write a slew of stuff in the form of novels, short stories, screenplays, and comic books. If I had my pick of the litter, however, I would start with the debut novel that set the man off to turn into one of the preeminent voices of horror in the 21st century.

Any Brian Keene fans out there willing to attest to this novel's caliber? I'm not a mark for zombies like some, but if the story is solid I can deal with just about any kind of gruesome and well-worn archetype, whether zombies, vamps, or hillbillies. And if you can think of any other Keene works I should have added to my wish list, feel free to leave a comment.


  1. Personally, I liked 'The Rising'. It's a very quick book, with a neat twist to the zombies, and a cast of characters that you fall for very quickly.
    However, I would recommend having the sequel, 'City of the Dead', close at hand because it picks up right where the first book leaves off, and brother, you're going to want to read it when you hit the climax of 'The Rising'.
    I'd also recommend 'The Conqueror Worms'. Giant earthworms and something that might be Cthulhu.

  2. I've read the trilogy and I thought it was great. A bit predictable and sometimes cheesy but I read all three books back to back in a week, so that say something, right? :)

  3. Josh - Thanks. I'll have to keep that in mind, having City of the Dead on the wish list too.

    Book Chick - Nothing wrong with a little cheese. And it's a trilogy? Man oh man, everyone's writing trilogies nowadays.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...