November 4, 2009

Wish List Wednesday #19: "Leviathan"

Am I familiar with steampunk literature? No. Have I ever read the work of Scott Westerfeld? No. Then why would I have this book on my wish list?

A glib answer might be to say I simply want to kill two birds with one stone.

A more truthful answer would be to say the premise for this YA sci-fi novel--the first of a purported trilogy--is too nutty for this squirrel to resist. If the setting of an alternate pre-WW1 Europe, replete with the son of Franz Ferdinand as the protagonist and his cross-dressing girlfriend, isn't enough, then how about Westerfeld throw in two warring factions--the Clankers and their mechanical weapons against the Darwinists and their bio-engineered weapons? Does that do it for you? It does it for me.

I've read previews, reviews, and watched book trailers. I'm looking forward very much to finding and reading this book. How about you? I know Celia got a kick out of it.


  1. I can't wait to read this one. All my friends are giving it rave reviews!

  2. Yeah, I don't think I've read a single bad review for it yet.

  3. Just got this myself. While I haven't read it yet, the illustrated hardcover itself is beautiful, and exudes a lot of style.

  4. The cover is gorgeous. As soon as I saw that mechanical behemoth on a book blogger's preview for the book, my interest was perked.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...