October 27, 2009

Wag the Blog #10: Worst. Bookstore. Ever.

It's been a while since I threw together one of these. Getting online long enough in one sitting to either read blogs, or download them to read later, has been a bit cumbersome lately. For a while now it's been about all I can do to update my own blog and handle research and correspondence with the couple of hours I have to get on the internet each week. I have managed to spot some particularly interesting posts and articles over the last few weeks, however, that I wouldn't mind sharing. Maybe you already follow some of these blogs yourself, but in case you don't, here's some more stuff to keep you occupied.

At The Cold Spot, Tom Piccirilli recounts a horror story of a different kind: trying to find and buy a copy of Punisher #75 in Colorado. I cherish the modest bookstores in my area after reading about his ordeal.

Ink and Paper interviewed fellow book blogger, Celia, of Adventures of Cecelia Bedelia. As a guy muddling his way through blogging about reading and writing, I like reading these interviews because they give me a chance to see how others are approaching it. I like to think WtF has gained a little bit of structure and cosmetic improvement in the months since I started. But it still needs improvement, and it helps to read from others about how they go about it all.

Monster Rally is a recent addition to my blogroll, after discovering it through Countdown to Halloween. If you like link directories, you'll love this one. October is chock-full of Halloween goodness, with all kinds of themed links to news, lists, movies, photos, and more. "Wag the Blog" is measly and small compared to the onslaught of links provided here.

The Vault of Horror compiled a list of the thirty best works of horror literature. A great spur for debate, if you're interested to see where your favorite stacks up (or if it stacks up). I'm a little disappointed in myself after reading it though, as I've read less than half of the stories listed. For shame. Also, VoH has a great interview with photographer, Joshua Hoffine, which also displays some of his absolutely mesmerizing work. You can check that out here.

And Now the Screaming Starts brought to my attention a contemplation of a "post-horror world" by Guardian blogger, Damien Walter. Though it centers on sci-fi, fantasy and horror can be applied to the bleeding of genre into literary fiction. I consider myself an unapologetic fan of horror, yet recognize my definition of the genre may differ from many others. At the end of the day I like good stories, no matter the genre. And horror, whether written by those who avoid classifying their work as "horror" or intentionally are steeped in it, tends to entertain me most.

The Intellectual Devotional had a post regarding Stephen King's The Shining, and King's pseudo-feud with Stanley Kubrick over the film adaptation. I liked this post simply because it reiterated my own favoritism towards Kubrick's adaptation with Jack Nicholson over King's later adaptation with Steven Weber (the guy from "Wings"). I'm reading the book for the first time this week--a read-along with Bella and Stella, so I'm curious to see how that alters my perception of the story and the film.

I'm always on the hunt for other blogs dedicated to horror literature. There are a few on my blogroll that have pointed me towards some fantastic authors I might have otherwise not discovered through simple excursions to the bookshops or library. So an open "thank you" to The Doctor Is In for pointing me towards Grasping for the Wind, which has compiled a monstrous list of blogs dedicated to reviewing horror, fantasy, and science-fiction. I've been following a few of them for quite a while now, but there are countless others that I'm just now becoming acquainted with, including Doctor Horror's own.


  1. Thanks for the links!

    p.s. super sweet that you posted my interview one! :)

  2. No sweat, Celia. Like I said, it was a good interview all around.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...