September 30, 2009

Wish List Wednesday #14: "The Haunting of Hill House"

I love a good ghost story. So, it shouldn't be much of a shock that Shirley Jackson's quintessential novel is on my wish list. It's downright shameful I haven't read it yet, to be honest. But, it's not like her work is readily available these days in shops. I have been looking for her works and those of M.R. James, August Derluth, H.P. Lovecraft, and A. Merritt for years through the local shops to no avail. My only glimmer of hope comes from the short stories I can find online via various fan sites and literature sites.

There's supposed to be a copy of this book in one of the valley's libraries, but this--like Hell House--is something I want to add to my permanent collection.

I remember, albeit vaguely, the film adaptation starring Catherin Zeta-Jones. A good movie, but I'm a guy who wants to read the source material for the movies I like. I've only read her iconic short story, "The Lottery," but it was such a treasure I can't help but think that her other works are impressive as well. The Haunting of Hill House is likely a classic piece of literature for good reason. Not only is the story superb, but I suspect Jackson's storytelling ability is what makes it all the more enduring.

How about you? Are there any haunted house tales you rank high among your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...