September 2, 2009

Wish List Wednesday #10: "The Hunger Games"

After hearing about this book and all of the hoopla surrounding it, I placed it on my wish list. It's been compared to 1984, Lord of the Flies, The House of the Scorpions, and a book I read this summer, Koushun Takami's Battle Royale. That's some good company for Suzanne Collins' book to find itself with, so I have my fingers crossed that I'll come across a copy sometime soon.

In an alternate America, teens are chosen in twos from each territory to compete in the Hunger Games. It's a televised competition to placate the masses, but is more of a grizzly battle to the death for all involved. Neat. The story is told through the eyes of two young girls, Katniss and Peeta. They're teammates in the first stage of competition--Katniss fully focused on winning no matter what, while Peeta is bent of holding on to her dignity and humanity for all the good it will do her.

The plot does sound eerily close to Battle Royale, but it also sounds like it diverges on its own path ensuring a unique reading experience. And, since everyone is psyched out of their boots for the sequel, Catching Fire, I think I need to jump on this bandwagon before too long.

Who's read this? Does it hold a candle to the classics it's been compared to?

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...