September 29, 2009

Wag the Blog #9: BYOB (Burn Your Own Book)

This week, while narrow-minded nitwits gnash their teeth over the latest book they perceive as an affront to their distorted views, the rest of us are all too happy to share our thoughts on how infelicitous and ineffective they are in trying to keep all of us from reading said books.

I blathered on yesterday with a rant on the subject, but there are countless others with something to say, and many with far more eloquence. So, I thought I'd focus this batch of links on some of the more interesting blog entries I have seen the past week, dedicated to Banned Books Week.

Back in June, Tess Gerritsen posted her thoughts on Murderati, entitled "Ban My Book. Please." She mentions the case of the four addle-brained arses who tried to win the legal right to burn library books they personally deemed offensive. The book in question? Baby Be-Bop.

In September, Donna at Lit Bites wrote a little something about a Book Banning in Brooklyn. This one touches on an eighty year old book that was banned for racially insensitive pictures. My goodness, who would've thunk it? I think anyone with a foot in the door of enlightenment realizes books from less tolerant times are going to contain the language of those times. Look hard enough and you'll likely find plenty of classic literature with bigoted views being espoused.

And surprise, surprise. Oklahoma hosted a book banning at a school this year. Author, Ellen Hopkins, learned one day before her scheduled visit to a Norman, OK middle school that her books, Crank and Glass, were removed from the library and her scheduled trip canceled by the school's principal because of a single complaint from a very ignorant parent. You can read her side of the story on her blog, HERE.

Thanks to BoingBoing and Cory Doctorow, I can think of one highschool student that is a legitimate rebel to his school and hero to his classmates. Which student? The "Kid keeping a library of banned books in her locker." That's who. All I have to say is BRAVO.

The Spectacle wants to know what book you'll read to commemorate Banned Books Week. I think I'm going to go with Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, though I'm sure I could pick up any horror novel off my bookshelf and be assured it's banned somewhere.

Amnesty Internation USA even takes time to acknowledge and bring awareness to some of the brave souls who have faced the harshest of persecutions because of their writing. To think a country would see fit to detain, imprison, and even torture a writer for their words is beyond dispicable.

And Bookworming in the 21st Century also chimes in, including a video of Ellen Hopkins reciting her Manifesto.

I see today that the Book Smugglers also have a great post, including that handy list of banned and challenged books from the past couple of years.

Note: If you have a blog post dedicated to Banned Books Week you'd like included in this, just leave a link to it in a comment or send me an e-mail with the link, and I'll add it to the list as soon as I can.

1 comment:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...