August 5, 2009

Wish List Wednesday #6: "Valley of the Dead"

I came across a preview for this book on HWA's blog, Dark Whispers. Written by Kim Paffenroth, Valley of the Dead is a re-imagining of sorts to Dante's Inferno. I have not read Inferno and must admit that I'm not in a hurry to read it, though I wouldn't be opposed to listening to an audio book version (depending how many hours that would take). Probably more than I think.

Valley tackles Dante's subject matter as if the Italian wordsmith literally experienced the scenes depicted in Inferno, replete with zombies, vicious dogs, and countless ways of torture and anguish. Rather than be thought a lunatic, Dante gives the world a Disney-fied version of his ordeal. Now, Paffenroth gives the unedited version of Hell and Dante's journey through it.

Now isn't that a cool-as-heck way to twist a classic piece of literature? I think so, and have now added it to my wish list. It was released on the first of August.


  1. I hope you get your wish!

    If I may note - the book is now available as a limited edition at

    If a trade paperback edition becomes available, I'll be sure to announce it on my blog!

    Thanks for your interest and may I also recommend Inferno (which I think would sound really cool as an audio book, so you may have the right idea there).

  2. Thanks for the visit to the blog, Kim. I caught sight of the book on Horror Mall, but the price tag was a little steep for a peasant like me. I'll find my way to the story's pages one way or another, though. Hook or crook. :)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...