August 14, 2009

Wag the Blog #7: Lenin the Cable Guy

A Dark Planet reminds me how rednecks and hillbillies are not only my neighbors, they're all over the world. And the ones on the other side of the world love to get drunk and act stupid just as much as the chuckleheads in my neck of the woods. At least natural selection is doing its part.

A Newbie's Guide to Publishing, J.A. Konrath's blog, has an interesting post on the extinction of the professional critic. Personally, I never gave a wooden nickel what Siskel and/or Ebert thought about movies. I care even less for the opinions of their successors, whatever their names are. As for book critics, I can't say I read their reviews all that often. I'll read the odd one in the Globe & Mail, but that's about it. I much prefer scoping out the opinions of fellow readers, especially the ones who enjoy--and are not snobbish towards--genre fiction.

And Now the Screaming Starts digs up a juicy news item from the 1890's. What kind of news? Oh, nothing much. Just your run-of-the-mill vampire cult wreaking havoc on the men, women, and children of Missouri. If you don't believe me, click on the link. CRWM posted the pics of the archived news article.

Bookgasm has a Q&A with author, Kim Paffenroth, about his latest novel, Valley of the Dead. I recently cited this book on Wish List Wednesday, and after reading this interivew, I have underlined its entry on my wish list.

Speaking of Paffenroth, Gospel of the Living Dead (his blog) is holding a contest until the end of the month. Buy any one of his books, send proof of purchase, and be entered to win a copy of either Dying to Live, Dying to Live: Life Sentence, or how about a signed ARC of Valley of the Dead? Me thinks I'll have to visit my local independent bookstore soon.

Grim Reviews has put me on track to a site dedicated to H.P. Lovecraft and his works. H.P. Podcraft offers a reading of one of Lovecraft's classic tales, followed by a discussion of the story by the hosts, Chris Lackey and Chad Fifer. I'm admittedly unfamiliar with Lovecraft's works, so this is an added treat for me. Thank you, Grim Blogger.

The Horror Geek talks about Scream 4. Talk about digging up a dead horse just to give it one more swift kick. Kudos to Neve Campbell for staying away from the movie. Her character's story reached its end in the third--and wholly unneccessary--film. What's more, it appears that Scream 4 is the jump-off for another trilogy. My only question: Why?

The Poisoned Apple's Catherine Gardener informs me that her new chapbook, The Sour Aftertaste of Olive Lemon, is now available at Bucket o' Guts for a very affordable $6 US. I'm Canadian, though, so there is probably some S&H to think about. I'm checking my couch for loose change now.

The Vault of Horror makes the case for why The Mist is a genuinely good horror movie. Thank you. After hearing word that the movie was trashed by the online world, I was aghast. I really liked that movie and thought it one of the better adaptations of Stephen King's work. Sure, there's a litany of movies based on King's stories, and the average is about half-good and half-bad. The Mist, however--as far as I'm concerned--falls into the "good" column.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...