August 3, 2009

Monday Moratorium #1: The Birthers

As a semi-weekly addition to WTF, I wanted a place to vent and rant a little. And few things make me want to vent and rant more than the things I hear on the news. So, chances are whenever you see a Monday Moratorium pop up on my blog, something I heard or saw on the news ticked me off enough to make me join the din of angry bloggers.

This past week, that honor goes to the insipid kvetching by wingnuts with microphones over President Barack Obama's American citizenship.

Guess what, loony-toons. He's American. Case closed. That's it. I don't want to hear about this nonsense anymore. It's gone beyond ridiculousness.

How bad is this fringe-inspired conspiracy theory? Well, it's not only hit the cable news circuit, but it's even seeped it's way onto NPR. What the what? Aren't they supposed to be blasting the radio airwaves with the Car Guys and Prairie Home Companion? Why would an otherwise respectable radio network like NPR even give such a lame-brained piece of vitriol the time of day, let alone dedicate an entire hour of air to it?

Enough. Now, sure, I like a conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but I'm a rational human being with reasonably sufficient cognitive abilities. When I hear someone prattle on about how George Bush is responsible for 9/11, or how Bill Clinton was strapping Arkansas prisoners' gonads to car batteries for scientific research, I get a chuckle, shake my head, and move on with my life. It's fluff. Nothing more.

So, why, after this ill-disguised bigotry was debunked for the hyper-partisan fraud that it is, WHY is it still getting play on television, radio, and print?

The one thing I do take as a silver lining from this fringe fiasco is the fact that the longer a media outlet gives credence to this garbage, the less credibility it has in my view, and I needn't waste my time paying attention to them in the future. Cable news was already holding a tenuous grip on their journalistic merits. I think the Birthers--don't you just love that name?--just sent them teetering off into the abyss.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...