August 2, 2009

Meme, Myself, & I: Movies

I meant to write this up last week, but writing time has been dominated with short story writing. Anyway, here's a few minutes to answer some movie questions. I spotted this on Catherin Gardener's The Poisoned Apple, and she got it from KV Taylor. Now, I'm throwing in my two cents. Some of these answers may really date me. Ah well.

1. Name a movie that you've seen more than ten times.

There are a few that I've seen that often or more, but I'll answer with Terminator 2: Judgment Day. It's the sci-fi, run-and-gun, Arnie-action movie I place above all others. I love it. I'd marry it if it were legal.

2. Name a movie that you've seen multiple times in the theater.

I have only ever gone to the theater more than once to see the same movie. That movie was South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. My friends and I laughed so long, and so hard, watching that movie we missed out on some of the dialogue and lesser jokes. I had to see it again.

3. Name an actor that would make you more inclined to see a movie.

Hmmm. Few actors are a selling point for me, especially if it means shelling out the big bucks for a movie ticket rather than renting a DVD. I would probably have to go with Robert Downey Jr. That man has a remarkable batting average when it comes to getting roles in quality movies.

4. Name an actor that would make you less inclined to see a movie.

Easy answer. Shia LaBeouf (sp?). People rave about him, but I have yet to be impressed. I'm under the suspicion he has incriminating photos of Stephen Spielberg, because he keeps landing roles in huge blockbuster films. Is it a coincidence that the same blockbusters have been terrible? I think not.

5. Name a movie that you can and do quote from.

Office Space. C'mon, what expat of the office cubicles hasn't committed much, if not all, of the dialogue from this movie to memory. "You have my stapler." God bless Stephen Root.

6. Name a movie musical that you know all the lyrics to all the songs.

I am not a fan of musicals. At all. The Wizard of Oz is the one exception. Maybe Annie, but it's been eons since I saw that film.

7. Name a movie that you've been known to sing along with.

I don't sing along with anything, unless I've imbibed copious amounts of alcohol. An exception to that rule is Month Python's Life of Brian. Whoever can't bring themselves to sing along with "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" is less than human.

8. Name a movie that you would recommend everyone see.

A lot of people shy away from horror movies, so I'll say The Thing is a movie that any movie fan should watch whether they like horror or not. If nothing else, you can watch Kurt Russell be a bad-ass one more time, and watch Wlifred Brimley do something other than talk about oatmeal and diabetes.

9. Name a movie that you own.

I just bought a used DVD of 300 for like two bucks. Fantastic movie. Blood and violence for the guys (and a few ladies), and Gerard Butler's abs for the ladies (and a few guys).

10. Name an actor that launched his/her entertainment career in another medium but who has surprised you with his/her acting chops.

Milla Jovovich (sp?). She used to be a model, but now she is one of the baddest action stars on the planet, and can even hold her ground in contemporary dramatic roles. I'm impressed.

11. Have you ever seen a movie in a drive-in? If so, what?

I only ever went to the drive-in once. It was a double feature: The Craft and The Cable Guy. Am I the only one who still likes Jim Carrey's performance in that movie?

12. Name a movie that you keep meaning to see but just haven’t yet gotten around to it.

Oh, wow. There's probably a really long list here. I'll keep it to one, though. How about The Curious Case of Benjamin Button? The length of the movie, alone, has kept me from renting it. I just don't want to spend three dollars on a movie I'm not likely to enjoy, or fall asleep halfway through. Maybe some night when I can't sleep.

13. Ever walked out of a movie?

Once. A couple of friends and I went a couple of towns over to see The Island of Dr. Moreau. It turned out we were a week early, and the movie playing that night was the children's fantasy, Matilda. I think we walked out very unhappy to have not seen the macabre Marlon Brando movie. After watching Dr. Moreau on VHS months later, I was very unhappy again.

14. Name a movie that made you cry in the theater.

Only sissies cry. I never cry. No way. Not once. Well, there was Bambi, but I was five--that doesn't count! I squirted a tear during Wall-E, but I was at home, not the theater, so that doesn't count either. Nope, never cried in the theater while watching a movie that wasn't Bambi. No sir.

15. What’s the last movie you saw in the theater?

Have you seen the prices they charge for movie tickets? No thanks. And Beverly Hills Chihuahua was number one in theaters for like two weeks last year. Who hates their money that much? I got a free ticket to Empire Theaters once, so I went to see The Longest Yard, starring Adam Sandler. Even with a free ticket I felt gipped.

16. What’s your favorite/preferred genre of movie?

I can enjoy just about anything that isn't a romantic comedy starring one of the castmembers to "Grey's Anatomy".If I have to pick a single favorite genre, however, then my weapon of choice is comedy. Some of my all-time favorite movies have been comedies, and it's something that's even harder to pull off than horror and suspense.

17. What’s the first movie you remember seeing in the theater?

I think there was a terrible Robin Hood movie in the early eighties that I saw as a kid, but I wiped it from memory as best I could. I'll say it was He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. You know, the one with Dolph Lungren (sp?). Me and my classmates blathered on about that movie for weeks after we saw it.

18. What movie do you wish you had never seen?

That Robin Hood one was pretty terrible--He-Man too, for that matter--but there are so many more horrible movies I've had the displeasure of seeing. I'll go with I Still Know What You Did Last Summer. That may be the absolute worst teen slasher flick to ever pollute a movie screen. For 90 minutes, I actively hated the entire cast. And even the crew. Someone owes me some money for sitting through that miscarriage. If it hadn't been a group setting at my own home while watching it, I would have left.

19. What is the weirdest movie you enjoyed?

Big Trouble in Little China. This movie came out of nowhere for me, but after watching it I raved about it to anyone who would listen. No one knew what the heck I was talking about. Long story, short: Kurt Russell + ancient Chinese spirits + cheesy special effects = Awesomeness.

20. What is the scariest movie you’ve seen?

When I was in my early teens, I watched Evil Dead. Holy crap. I slept with the door open and the hallway light on that night. No joke.

21. What is the funniest movie you’ve seen?

The biggest laughs I ever let out came of the South Park movie. But, the one I consider the funniest to this day just might be The Big Lebowski. It's quirky, and not all of it is straight-up comedy, but the humor is as keen as a razorblade. John Goodman's best performance happened when he played Wally.


  1. 1. Love these questions! (and your answers)
    2. I totally don't believe you about not crying. Too many negatives in one paragraph a positive make.
    3. I'm stealing this meme from you, effective immediately. I'm too much of a movie junkie not to...

    in all, awesome post.

  2. Ha. Yes, I doth protest too much.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...