August 13, 2009

Hint Fiction: The Flash Fiction Contest

I can't recall where I first heard about this contest, but it's quite likely to have been a blog I'm following. Probably more than one has mentioned it by now. At any rate, I've decided to quit stalling and throw my name in the hat with three of my own entries (the stipulation for a third entry being I needed to create a blog entry about the contest by tomorrow).

For details on the contest and the impending Hint Fiction anthology, click HERE for details.

The gist of it works like this: The anthology (published by W.W. Norton in fall of 2010) will include somewhere between a hundred and a hundred-and-fifty pieces of flash fiction. Each piece will be twenty-five words or less. Not a lot of real estate to craft a story, right? Wrong. Didn't Ernest Hemingway once write a piece of fiction consisting of six--count 'em, six--words? It's not easy, but it can be done.

So, in those scant twenty-five words you need to come up with a story that contains a beginning, middle, and end. My first crack at it was horrendous. The three I did manage to come up with, however, are good enough to submit, I feel. What each stories chances are when thrown in the lion's den with the countless other entries? Well, thankfully that's not up to me.

The deadline for submissions is August 31, so if you're interested in taking part you need to click on the link I provided and read the submission guidelines. Then, come up with a piece of flash fiction that stands a chance at being accepted. Easier said than done, but it's a good exercise either way.

This is all coming about thanks to Robert Swartwood. And, his site includes a link to the essay on "hint fiction" that started all of this, which can be read here. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...