August 6, 2009

A Bibliophile's Bookshelf Hosts Bookworms Carnival: Young Adult Fantasy Edition

I mentioned it a couple of days ago, but it's worth mentioning again that the book blog, A Bibliophile's Bookshelf, is hosting the latest Bookworms Carnival. This one dedicated to books categorized as young adult fantasy. You can find the blog entry HERE.

At the bottom of the plentiful offering of reviews from various book blogs, Bella added a question to bloggers to share for the occasion.

Tell us who your favorite YA Fantasy author is, or your favorite YA Fantasy book, and why it is so special to you.--A Bibliophile's Bookshelf

For me, it's an easy answer. I still regard Phillip Pullman as one of the very best authors when it comes to YA Fantasy, thanks to the stellar "His Dark Materials" trilogy. When I got back into reading, I didn't really consider delving into the literature aimed at the younger crowd. However, when I caught wind of this trilogy--right around the time they began filming The Golden Compass with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig--I decided I was likely missing out on something special. I was right.

I didn't actually get a hold of a copy of The Golden Compass in book form until the movie had been released in theaters. When I did finally read it, I was hooked. The characters are simultaneously preposterous and genuine, and the connection forged between Lyra and Iorek (I'm a sucker for a talking polar bear in battle armor) is one for the ages. I liked the movie as well, though the ending left a lot to be desired. I haven't heard about how the prospects of a film adaptation to The Subtle Knife are progressing, but I have my fingers crossed.

In keeping with this theme of Pullman and YA Fantasy, I'll be posting a review of The Golden Compass in August. I'll also be posting a review of Heather Brewer's Eighth Grade Bites. As well, there are the two reviews noted in Bella's blog entry, which I have already posted: Cassandra Clare's City of Bones; and John Marco's Starfinder.

A big thanks to Bella again for hosting this latest incarnation of the Bookworms Carnival. I've been enjoying this psuedo-blog tour the Carnival has going on. There's been a lot of great finds thanks to the blog entries connected with it.


  1. Can't wait to read what you say about Eighth Grade Bites, I haven't bought Heather's books yet.

    My YA choice of the moment is Lisa Mantchev. Her book 'Eyes Like Stars' is delicious and fun.

  2. My best young adult fantasy writer is Anthony Horowitz, and I love all the Chronicles of Narnia books by C S Lewis - although they're not technically for young adults, just young children and middle-aged adults like me!

  3. Catherine - Well, the review went up over the weekend, so feel free to take a gander.

    Akasha - Anthony Horowitz? Hmmm. What's he written? Anything I'd be interested in, you figure?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...