July 1, 2009

Wish List Wednesday #1: "Let The Right One In"

This is a new addition to the blog, just a little something to give it some regularity—you know, like bran. My wish list knows no bounds. Like many of you, I'll read a preview or a review for a book (or a movie based on a book) and begin to crave it. I can't help it. Despite an obscene number of books in my possession already, which I have yet to read, I want more. Does that make me a "bookie" monster? You decide.

This past year, there's been a European movie catching a lot of buzz from the anglophones. Let The Right One In is a horror movie with a new twist on the vampire genre. I caught a clip of it on one of those Siskel & Ebert rip-offs and fell in love with it. I haven't seen the movie yet, and I am not sure if it will even make it to my neck of the woods. Blockbuster isn't exactly around the block where I live.

I'm disappointed about my chances of seeing the movie, but when I learned the film is based on a novel by a Swedish author, John Ajvide Lindqvist, I added one more to the wish list. I must find this book. I'm not a vampire fanatic, but it's a mythos with quite a few great characters. Dracula, Lestat, Spike, Vampire Bill, whoever that Twilight guy is.

Besides, I'm a sucker for a story with creepy little kids in it. It's such a timeworn device in stories, but dammit it's worked so many times in the past.

How about you? Have you read this? Is it on your wish list or TBR pile too? Or could you care less about it?


  1. I'm a new subscriber and
    I loved this book. I don't buy books as a rule unless they are used - but like you I got wind of it but had to buy it. I posted a review at goodreads. I gave it 4 stars. I do recommend it if you like a dark story, some gore, and yes to be scared. But if your opposed to reading anything about pedophilia its not your book.
    What a bummer to hear that you can't get the movie in Canada...did I get that right?
    I'm waiting for the movie on order at the local library. Have you tried netflix?

  2. I'm not sure if we can't get it in Canada, but I wouldn't be surprised. It wouldn't be the first time we were denied a quality movie. And I am NOT anxious to watch the American remake that's currently in the works.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...