July 30, 2009

Wag the Blog #6: That's Worse than a Tramp Stamp

This is a semi-weekly segment, at least that's how I'm aiming it, but this week's browsing proved to eventful. I can't help but share a few of the blogosphere's gems with the rest of you. Some of you are probably way ahead of me on some, but I'd like to think I'm bringing at least one thing new to your attention. Enjoay.

Bookshelves of Doom has shown me a tattoo that will haunt me for some time. People who get huge murals inked into their skin are of dubious mental acuity, in my opinion. I saw a guy once with a giant Hulk Hogan tattoo all over his back. Really, buddy? You happy with that choice in life? Well, I wonder how this Twilight fanatic will feel on her 40th birthday. I only hope the technology doesn't arrive in that time to remove such monstrosities. Live and learn, people.

Confessions of an Idiosyncratic Mind has a plum of a blog entry from last week. The plum being a bizarre murder plot involving bisexual conspirators, adoptive parents,and "Furries. It must be read to be believed.

io9 is fast becoming one of my favorite sites. While this isn't an original article in the purest sense, they gave credit where credit was due, so I shall too. So, io9 links to Morlet's Blog, which links to Paleo-Future, which has an incredible glimpse into the future as seen by 18th century German chocolate company, Hildebrands. If you are an aficionado of "steampunk," you will love this. If not, you'll still get a kick out of it. It's a slew of postcards with speculative renderings of technology in our time. Fantastic.

Storytellers Unplugged talks about the current craze of a novel, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I haven't read it yet, but that could change by the end of the year. And, I still can't believe we're going to be seeing on store shelves the next book, Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. Wow.

I'm waiting to be wowed by Isaac Asimov's work. Mind you, I've only read one novel and a smattering of short stories. None have convinced me the man matches the myth. Yet. Fantasy Cafe has a nice entry about Asimov that may put me in the right direction to becoming a fan of the godfather of sci-fi. I think onipar mentioned Foundation as an Asimov novel that needs to be read, and it seems the Cafe agrees.

Akasha at Aspirations from the Darkside asks us all what scares the bejesus out of us, while sharing the irrational fears she holds. Me? I offered one that still gets me to this day: Bugs crawling on my bare legs in the dark. Sweet Zombie Jesus!

The Vault of Horror is a great horror blog. And they've taken the time to recommend other great horror blogs. I already have a couple of these on my own blogroll, but I'll definitely check out the others I haven't visited yet.

And finally, I Heart Monster provided a link to a nifty little item I'll probably get some use out of in the future. I'm Canadian, and I wouldn't mind visiting some of those US-only sites. Here is the link provided.


  1. Thanks, I'm checking em all out. Great stuff.

    I see you're reading Hell House...it kicks don't it?

  2. It does. It really does. It's one of the many titles I've lumped as required reading in the horror field. I'm still on the hunt for Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House."

  3. Great links. I'll never understand getting anyone's face tattooed on yourself. It's just creepy!!

  4. I second Lenore. What can possess these people? I'm just imagining, 20 years down the road...

    On a related note, have you seen pix of Neil Gaiman tattoos? They're also very popular.

  5. Hiya.
    I must admit I do like a man with a tattoo or two, and I especially like the way native Australians tattoo their faces. :D

  6. Scary stuff, Fox! Interesting blog, but why 'rabid', I wonder? If you're looking for a scaryish crime thriller, Cut Short is available on amazon.ca from 1st August. You can read some reviews (all 5 star so far!) on amazon.co.uk if you're interested. I hope you consider reading it and let me know what you think. You're welcome over on my blog in any case.

  7. Celia - I have definitely not seen Gaiman's tats, but I'll be looking for pics today.

    Akasha - At least aboriginal people have a tendency to add style and class to their body art. And, I'm not averse to a tattoo on a woman if it's complimentary in some manner.

    Leigh - The "rabid" moniker is something I cooked up to go with my penchant for horror literature. I'm quite docile, however, in real life. And I'll check out your blog later today.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...