July 23, 2009

Wag the Blog #5: Stephen King, Do You Kiss Your Mother with that Mouth?

My blogroll slowly but steadily grows with each passing week. A few have been removed due to inactivity, but far more have been added thanks to interesting and entertaining content. Here's a strong sampling of what I've stumbled across over the last week or so.

And Now the Screaming Starts is a recent addition to my blogroll, and this week it didn't disappoint. I'm an unapologetic Stephen King fan and will invariably gravitate towards a blog entry with a mere mention of his name. I liked this one because it looks at King's contribution to the American lexicon with his great prowess of the "f-bomb."

Speaking of horror writers, Brian Keene added a link to an interview he did with Famous Monsters of Filmland. I'll be checking it out this week.

Keeping up with the notable author theme, Ed Gorman has brought it to our attention via Cinema Rerto that NASA intentionally erased all of the original footage of the first Moon landing to cut costs. What the what?! Yeah, the most historic moment in the history of mankind ... who would want to hang on to that?

Bella at A Bibliophile's Bookshelf posted a link to an interview with J.R.R. Tolkien. It dates back to 1971 and is available as a podcast and a written transcript. I've only seen the movies, and haven't bothered with the books, but this might be something that could cause me to reconsider ... provided the interview is as engrossing as Bella lets on.

Josh Reynolds, over at Hunting Monsters, has done it again. He's managed to find an article discussing the werewolf myth and its destruction by Charles Darwin. No more werewolves, eh? Then how come I eat Purina every time there's a full moon? Huh, science man? Answer that one for me.

Get Rich or Die Tryin' may have been one of the greatest films ever made ... or a a cash-grab by 50 Cent. I'm no expert. The folks at Vault of Horror are, however, and they chilled me to the bone with word that Fiddy will co-star with Forrest Whitaker in a film adaptation of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. That's one of my favorite classic bits of literature, and now it may be ruined.

Dark Wolf's Fantasy Review can always be counted on for some great spotlights on fantasy artists and their work. This past week he interviewed Alex Popescu, a Romanian digital artist, and displayed a few of his pieces. The visual arts are something I always liked, especially when artwork sneaked its way between the covers of a novel--some edition of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series are fan-freakin'-tastic. The artwork shown in this blog entry show some amazing landscapes of faraway worlds. Me likey.

Staying with the fantasy tip for a little bit longer, Fantasy Book Critic posted their two-part "Best of 2009" for fantasy, sci-fi, and mainstream literature--Part One and Part Two. Quite a few of those titles are on my wish list, and I've even had the chance to read Jack Kilborn's Afraid. This will be a great resource for when I go book shopping in the future.

There's a new thriller flick coming out called Orphan. It looks kind of generic and ho-hum, judging by the trailers. But I may watch it. Why? Because io9 was kind enough to let me know that there are actual people protesting it because of it's "anti-adoption" effects. Adoption agencies have suggested a boycott--yeah, because those always work.

Bookshelves of Doom comes up with some interesting blog posts more often than not. I have no idea where Leila stumbled across this site(Worth1000), but I like it. I'm going to be scouring it myself very soon.

If there are any writers out there who are curious about query letters, Nathan Bransford posted a great example of what a successful one looks like. Lisa Brackmann's letter is highlighted, as she sold Nathan on the idea of her novel, Rock Paper Tiger. Check it out.

Oz and Ends has an interesting piece about the Amazon Kindle and a recent scam involving pirated copies of George Orwell's Animal Farm and 1984. People really do love their stolen goods.


  1. There looks like a few interesting blogs there...I will be checking them out.

  2. Thanks for the mention. I'm not an overly huge fan of the LOTR movies, but the books are amazing. I hope you try them one day.

    Now off to check Dark Wolf's Fantasy Review. I do like good coverart.

    P.S. I love the title of this post, I'm still grinning.

  3. Dark Wolf's interviews and reviews are pretty darned good. A LOT of talented artists out there.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...