April 19, 2009

In The Mood For Capers

Sure, I'm writing horror stories and other weird tales, but it's not the only genre I'm interested in. In the grand scheme of things, I have a lot of catching up to do when it comes to reading books. The world has a head start on me, and it feels like I'm playing catch-up a lot of the time—my own damned fault, to be perfectly honest, since I spent so much of college life avoiding literature.

I read horror, yes, but I like science-fiction too. I enjoy a good western. Classic literature is not out of the question either, as I hold Charles Dickens and Mark Twain in very high regard. Fantasy novels can be fun, and I could even stomach certain chick lit if need be. Aside from erotica, I've probably read at least one novel from every genre. If you get into sub-genres though, you're probably going to lose me.

This weekend, Ocean's Eleven with George Clooney and Brad Pitt was on television. I still love that movie, so I avoided shoveling dirt in my driveway for a while to watch it. After the closing credits rolled and I was toiling with those ungodly ruts in the driveway, I got to thinking about the fact I have yet to read a caper novel. Not one.

I know they're out there. They have to be. If movies like
Ocean's Eleven, The Italian Job, and Snatch can do well at the box office, surely there are successful novels as well. For a guy who hasn't stumbled upon any titles in this sub-genre, I have to ask: Where the hell are they?

I guess I'll just have to hit up Amazon or Google to see what I can find. In the meantime, if anyone happens upon this blog and can recommend a couple of titles or a superb author to me, I'd appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...