March 14, 2009

I Miss George Carlin

If there's one person I would classify as the funniest comedian in history, I'd end up giving the accolade to the late George Carlin. The man was like a razorblade against the hypocrisy and B.S. of the world. I'll never forget when I found an old Carlin LP my parents had, the one about the seven words you can't say on television. For a pre-teen boy who inexplicably got the giggles whenever someone cussed, I fell in love with Carlin's brand of humor. The only people who come close to putting me in stitches as much as him are Chris Rock, Richard Pryor, and Lewis Black.

I read "Napalm and Silly Putty"―a must read for any Carlin fanatic―this past week, after finding it in a library book sale this winter. It was the best dollar I ever spent. The book is fairly short and contains a great deal of his 2000-2001 stand-up routines, but I still managed to thoroughly relish every syllable. It's just such a shame he had to die, as there won't be another one like him for a long, long time ... likely never.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...