September 1, 2014

An Excerpt of Matthew W. Harrill's "Hellbounce"

Hellbounceby Matthew W. Harrill 

Demons don’t always hide in the dark.





Synopsis:

As a psychologist in a prison hospital, Eva Ross had always dealt with her share of sinners. The corrupt, the insane, their minds were all hers to unlock. But when those around her, those she trusted with her life start to exhibit the same characteristics, she is forced to turn to a stranger, a man whose name she is incapable of even remembering, for sanctuary. 

Follow Eva as she crosses continents to unlock the answers, and her eventual destiny.




Excerpt:

Harold Fronhouse was a short man, not far over five feet in height. He sat secured in a straightjacket, and strapped to a wheelchair. He wore no mask. As Eva and Jenny entered the room, he watched, unblinking. As Jenny sat down, he gazed at her with the eyes of a predator. “Nice.”
Eva glanced at Jenny, who watched Harold the way a small child watched a stranger, not taking her eyes off him. She was uncomfortable.
“Harold. How are you today?”
“Hungry,” came the reply, although Fronhouse still had not taken his eyes off Jenny. This was going bad quickly.
“Well I see from your records you don’t appear to have had much problem with your meals.”
Fronhouse eyed Jenny up and down once more, and then turned his head to Eva. “Unsatisfied.” His eyes widened slightly and he fidgeted.
“Nothing changes then,” agreed Eva, motioning Jenny to take notes, more to give her something to do than for the need. “Harold likes to play games,” Eva lectured. “One-word answers can go on for days if he feels like it. It’s a shame. He is such a conversationalist. But I know what you love to talk about, don’t I?” Eva spoke as she would to a pet.
In response, Fronhouse grinned, the vacuous smile of one not in possession of all their mental faculties. “The bomb.”
Eva leaned forward, a conspirator to his cause. “Yes the bomb. Why don’t you tell us the story of the bomb.”
Fronhouse trembled with excitement, and looked at Eva as if seeking to please a master. “I was young, not more than a child. We lived in a farmhouse in the hills. My parents used to have parties. The sorts of parties where you put your car keys in a jar and the wife left with whoever owned the keys she pulled out. They loved that sort of thing. It gave them excitement.
"Over time, my mother pulled the same keys repeatedly. My father grew suspicious.” Fronhouse cackled to himself at some perceived vision.
“He took me with him once and showed me my mother and her lover through a window in the house. He was behind her. They were naked. She was moaning.” Fronhouse again watched Jenny as he said this, evidently gauging the impact of his words. Jenny had dropped her pad and pen in her lap, just staring.
Fronhouse, restless now, fidgeted more. “My father took me home and told me he was going to make my mother pay for this, and he wanted my help. We built a bomb, and fitted it under her car.” He turned his head to one side and growled: “Yes, I can feel it, too.”


Reviews:

Hellbounce is the first book of the ARC chronicles and was recently released by Heart Powered Publishing. Since then, the novel has gained exceptional reviews from people across the web:

“This book caught me in the opening and never let up.” -ruffy, Amazon review

“Wow. This guy has talent. Serious talent. . . . [Hellbounce] pulls you in, mangles your emotions and pushes your senses to the brink, and when you're done, you need a drink and a good night's rest. With the lights on.” -P. Palmer, Amazon review

"Hold on to your seats and take a ride to hell and back. A prison hospital psychologist spends a romantic night with a man she simply cannot remember. When you think her life could not be any more complicated, all hell breaks loose and she finds herself on a mission unlike any other." - Claudia, Goodreads review 

"This is not a genre I would generally read, in fact it's a genre I dislike. . . . However . . . I was hooked from the first few pages and I haven't devoured a book this quickly in long time. . . . I look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy." - Sean Groom, Goodreads Review



Where to Get it:


Learn more about Hellbounce, read other reviews, or purchase it on Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...