February 2, 2011

Wish List Wednesday #84: Novellas by Nate Kenyon and Tim Lebbon

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem. All February, I'm shining a light on novellas.

I've read horror by Nate Kenyon and loved it, so I wonder how much I would like his sci-fi novella, Prime. Reviews I've read liken it to Neuromancer, Johnny Mnemonic, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and even Fahrenheit 451. Published by Apex, it's a story about a man's struggles with lost memories and a world in which technology and man are even more intimately linked than we dare imagine. It's about 150 pages with an absolutely gorgeous cover.

There there is the novella, The Thief of Broken Toys, by Tim Lebbon. This sounds decidedly bleaker than Lebbon's novel, Bar None, which I had the chance to read last year. This story, published by ChiZine, involves the grief and guilt of a father in the wake of his young son's death. In a chance encounter with an old toymaker, he gets the chance to repair the broken toys he always promised his son he'd fix, but the cost may be more than he's willing to pay. It's apparently written in second-person present-tense, which sounds like a tricky proposition, but I've seen it delivered with great skill by other writers, so I wager Lebbon is up to the task.

So, there's the first two novellas on my wish list this month. What do you think? They sound like the kind of stories you'd like to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...