October 4, 2010

Chasing Tale in September: Bentley Little, Ekaterina Sedia ...

How much do I love books? Well, this past month marked the first time I ever went book shopping during what was technically a hurricane. How's that for a rabid reader? Truth be told, Hurricane Earl was a big dud at the beginning of September and amounted to little more than a rain cloud's equivalent of a temper tantrum around my neck of the woods. It's experiences like that, with the media hyping it up and salivating over the chance of calamity, that cause people to take the next hurricane less seriously. It's sad when a natural disaster gets turned by weather reporters into a voyeuristic circle jerk.
 
But I ramble. Let's see what books I scooped up this past month.

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby - I scooped this up during the latest library book sale. I beelined it towards the trade paperbacks as soon as the doors opened, nabbed a couple titles on my wish list and got out of there. The doors open at those sales at 9 AM. By 10 AM the tables and shelves have been picked clean by the crowd of anything of merit.


Killshot by Elmore Leonard - The local drugstore had a whole table full of marked-down paperbacks and out of the dozens on display, the majority of which were multiple copies of a few historical romance titles, I spied this little gem by Elmore Leonard. If you haven't read an Elmore Leonard novel yet, by god you should.

The Collection by Bentley Little - I found The Collection during the so-called hurricane. Little is one of the renowned horror authors whose work I've yet to read. And I'm all for some quality short fiction, so I thought this was a good find. 
 
The Straw Men by Michael Marshall - I remember seeing the name Michael Marshall on a list of recommended horror titles one time about a year or so ago. I think it was for The Servants. Anyway, this is his debut novel so I thought I'd throw it on the pile since it was only a couple of bucks. 
 
Hauntings: Tales of the Supernatural edited by Henry Mazzeo - My other hurricane find. This is an anthology from the mid-sixties that was tucked away and collecting dust on a shelf. I'm one of those weird readers that doesn't care for the smell of old books, but the table of contents was too good to resist. H.P. Lovecraft, M.R. James, Robert Bloch, Henry James, William Hope Hodgson, Arthur Conan Doyle, and a slew of other famous authors.

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie - This is the other book I snagged at the library book sale. It's been one of those famous titles that I've always meant to read, but never put forth the effort to search out. Well, now I'm one step closer. It's sitting on my to-be-read pile now where it can taunt me every morning.

Secret History of Moscow by Ekaterina Sedia - Book Depository came through quite well with this book order. Only about three weeks waiting time between its publication and it arriving in my mailbox. I'm still waiting on some books from them that were ordered for me back in June, though. Patience is key, and they're books I won in a giveaway, so it's not like I'm out any cash if they never show.

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis - I still don't read a helluva lot of science-fiction compared to horror and fantasy. I spied this well-worn paperback tucked away at a shop and remembered Willis' name from io9's list of anticipated reads for this year. I guess she's written a sequel to Doomsday Book called Blackout. Since this involves time travel, I think there's a fair chance I'll enjoy it. Like I am for haunted houses, I'm a sucker for a good time travel story.

2 comments:

  1. A diverse bunch of books!
    Hope you enjoyed them while stuck indoors during the hurricane :)

    - Dee from e-Volving Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...