September 22, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #65: Alexandra Sokoloff's "Book of Shadows"

Wish List Wednesday is a weekly meme I started in July '09, in which I put the spotlight on a book that is on my wish list--whether new release, blast from the past, or hidden gem.

Back in March, I mentioned my wanting to read The Unseen by Alexandra Sokoloff. Well, I haven't even gotten around to reading that book yet, and she's already put out another novel that sounds like it could be very promising.

Book of Shadows deals with a subject that has been kind of overlooked on the big stages in fiction, unless of course you consider Harry Potter. I am referring to witchcraft. But, I doubt Sokoloff is writing about an American Hogwart's in this novel. Nope, I think she has imagined something with much sharper teeth.

It sounds like Sokoloff has used to this novel to examine the idea of the male psyche holding an aversion to feminine power, in this case of a supernatural variety. Take a hard-boiled, gritty cop and join him up with a modern day witch. On the surface, it might sound a bit hokey and reminiscent of a paranormal "Odd Couple," but Sokoloff is a talent author and I think she's aiming for something other than an opposites attract scenario. And it sounds like she really did her homework on the whole Salem witches history, too.

Have you heard about this novel? Does it sounds like something you'd like to read, too?

2 comments:

The Doctor said...

I certainly want to read this. Hell, I really want to read The Unseen as well, but for some reason the paperback version hasn't become available, months past its originally advertised release date. I pre-ordered it. Still waiting...

Rabid Fox said...

That sucks. I'm hoping my local library will at least get one of her books in this fall.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...