June 1, 2010

Chasing Tale in May: Ray Garton, Joe Hill, Brian Keene ...

Oh, how the books keep coming. Nuts to you, TV. I have all the entertainment I need. You can keep your reality shows and whatever else is clogging up your airwaves. You may not appreciate good writers anymore, but I do.

Speaking of which, here are the books I added to my shelf this past month ...

Sparrow Rock by Nate Kenyon - I received a review copy of Nate Kenyon's latest release (you can read my review here). Put a bunch of teenyboppers in a bomb shelter in the wake of one helluva Armageddon and see what happens. This one is currently among my three favorite releases of 2010, along with Dan Simmons' Black Hills and Alina Bronsky's Broken Glass Park.

I was also fortunate enough to win a few books in mid-April thanks to Adventures with Cecelia Bedelia and her anniversary giveaway, which celebrated her first year as a blogger. Pay her a visit why don't you. And May started off quite nicely when the books arrived courtesy of Book Depository. The five novels I received are:

Live Girls by Ray Garton - I read and reviewed Garton's Bestial (you can read that review here) a while ago, which was an intense reworking of the werewolf myth. Live Girls has vampires and is heralded as one of his best works. I can only imagine what his take on the bloodsuckers will be like.

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey - I mentioned my want for this title back in December (Wish List Wednesday #26). The setup? After a decade in Hell, a magician escapes and heads back to L.A. to exact some revenge. Oh, I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to like this one.

The Rising and City of the Dead by Brian Keene - More than any other horror author, I hear Brian Keene's name bandied about as one of the very best horror writers to come along in the last decade. Trouble for me is that no one stocks his books around here. I mentioned wanting his award winning debut novel, The Rising, back in November (Wish List Wednesday #20). So it's nice to finally have it at last. And I doubt I'll be letting it slip away any time soon. Ooh, and I got the sequel to it too. Neat.

Whitechapel Gods by S.M. Peters - Here's one more to scratch off my wish list. I talked about my interest in this steampunk novel way back in October (Wish List Wednesday #16). The cover alone was enticing, but the premise of a walled-in Whitechapel and a disease called "the Clacks" that turns people into machines was irresistible. I've already read it and my review for it should be posted in about a week or so.

I didn't get a chance to do much scavenging in the used-book shops in May, but it wasn't like I had much need to considering the books I've amassed lately. I did manage to snag a couple though ...

20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill - I would have been happy with a ratty old paperback edition of this one, as I've heard so much positivity towards Joe Hill's short stories, but I was doubly pleased to find a signed hardcover edition. Oh, the things you come across in those little bookstores.

In the Night Room by Peter Straub - I spied this book sitting on the top of a stack of hardcovers yet to be shelved. All I had to read on the jacket was "a famous children's author who ... realizes that the most basic facts of her existence ... have come into question." I have a feeling the eeriness will be rolling off the pages like mist with this one. It won a Stoker Award, so it's gotta be at least sufferable, right? Besides, has Mr. Straub written a bad novel yet?

The Little Friend by Donna Tartt - On the recommendation of Peter Straub, I added Donna Tartt's name to my ever-expanding list of authors whose work I should sample. Surprisingly, I found a copy of one of her books a couple of days later, just a couple of blocks down the street in my very small hometown. I mentioned her name in passing to my local bookstore owner, and he said this book had just come in that week--he hadn't even had time to shelve it yet. I look forward to reading it this summer.

Well, that's my haul for this month. What books have you added to your collection lately?

4 comments:

  1. I loved Whitechapel Gods when I read it last year. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for letting me know about all the great books! I'm with you... TV sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan - Read it, didn't love it.

    K. Hinny - You're welcome. And yes ... yes it does.

    Ty - Ain't they, though. I got spoiled.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...