March 31, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #40: Pontypool Changes Everything

Zombie fiction is everywhere and I wonder if it might have put a down payment on a house, because it looks like the walking dead are here to stay. The popularity may wain, but there seems to be a fervent core of fans that will gobble up whatever book or movie that showcases at least one shambling, moaning, brain-craving monster.

I'm not really on the zombie bandwagon, but I'll not begrudge a good story. And it sounds like Pontypool Changes Everything by Tony Burgess is such a story. I think one of the things I appreciate about the premise of this novel is that it doesn't deal strictly with the conventional zombie. Classifying the "infected" in this novel as zombies is probably irresponsible because they're not. The infection is far stranger and they don't behave like your run-of-the-mill zombie. They might be more closely compared to Romero's The Crazies.

At any rate, I caught wind of the film adaptation a couple of years ago and loved the look of it. Imagine a zombie-style outbreak film told within the confines of a rinky-dink radio station, as residents of Pontypool call in with the terrifying news of their neighbors and loved ones turning into rabid, murderous creatures. That's good. That's like if Alfred Hitchcock taking a crack at the undead. Is it any wonder why I'd want to check out the book such a movie is based on?

So, have you heard of this novel (or the film)? If so, what do you think?

5 comments:

Akasha Savage. said...

I've not heard of either the film or the novel, But you've made me think that perhaps I might take a look.

Rabid Fox said...

The film was an independent one that didn't get a whole lot of mainstream buzz. It looked really promising though, but it's also very hard to find on store shelves or library shelves.

Adam Blomquist said...

I really liked the film, and I would really recommend it. I don't want to spoil it but fair warning though: it's a lot more bizarre than just "Zombie movie as seen from a radio station."

I saw it first at a film festival then tracked down a used copy at Blockbuster.

Rabid Fox said...

Yeah, Adam, but I'm the kind of guy who can go for oddball when it's done right ... and it looks like this was done right.

Anonymous said...

This is my first visit here, but I will be back soon, because I really like the way you are writing, it is so simple and honest

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...