March 17, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #38: The Unseen

Alexandra Sokoloff has a great blog, which I dare say is required reading for any aspiring writer. As both a novelist and screenwriter, she has a unique and informed take on the craft of storytelling. But this blog post isn't about her blog, but about her most recent novel The Unseen.

I believe this book's been published through St. Martin's Press and deals with parapsychology. It's not something I believe in, but the idea of it has always fascinated me ever since I was a little kid. Though, I tended to steer towards the Amazing Kreskin rather than the more in depth studies.

I had a chance to read one of Sokoloff's novels last year. The Price was a very chilling read about a father trying to save his dying daughter, and Sokoloff told it beautifully. I'm not sure what the main plot is for The Unseen, but if it's anywhere near as good as The Price then there's good reason for me to have this on my wish list.

Have you had a chance to read this or any other novel by Alexandra Sokoloff? If so, what did you think of it?

2 comments:

The Doctor said...

I haven't read it (waiting for the the pb edition), but I have read her two previous books and enjoyed them greatly. Technically excellent and highly readable. If there were any criticism I would have to give, it's that they sometimes do read too much like a "how to" of writing a trendy modern Hollywood horror screenplay, right down to the "clever" twist ending. Especially The Harrowing, which ticks way too many boxes. It's almost a little too facile and glib. Still, I liked them.

Rabid Fox said...

I never really felt that by-the-numbers vibe when reading The Price, though elements were familiar. But hey, in horror and thriller fiction, that can be said of many books.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...