February 24, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #35: Sharp Objects


For the great amount of positive reviews and blurbs concerning this debut novel from Gillian Flynn, I'm a tad surprised I didn't see a single mention of it anywhere in 2009. I only caught wind of it when I spied it at the #1 spot on Nate Southard's top ten list for 2009. Who's Nate Southard? That's a question for next week's Wish List Wednesday.

Sharp Objects sounds like it could be a straight-up murder mystery novel, but Flynn adds a sinister bent in this story that caused Library Journal to describe her writing as "reminiscent of the works of Shirley Jackson." Really? Alright, I'll bite.

Camille Preaker is a reporter for a less than stellar newspaper, sent to her hometown to cover the murder of two little girls. Pretty cut and dry sounding stuff, I suppose, for mystery novels. But, I think the tension really gets ratcheted up when you take into account that Camille is days removed from a stay in a psychiatric hospital before heading back home. And home ends up being an old mansion with her hypochondriac of a mother and estrange half-sister. All of this collides and causes her to revisit her own traumatic childhood, while investigating the girls' tragic deaths.

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for this one. How about you? Did you catch wind of this last year? Did you get to read it for yourself, and if so what did you think?

1 comment:

  1. This came in the mail yesterday, and is next on my list.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...