February 3, 2010

Wish List Wednesday #32: The Mage in Black

One of my favorite 2009 releases was the debut urban fantasy novel by Jaye Wells called Red-Headed Stepchild. It was a fast-paced, witty vampire novel that reminded me, in all the best ways, of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This year, the sequel is due to hit bookshelves. It's titled Mage in Black.

In the grand scheme of things, this Sabina Kane series may be more of a guilty pleasure than anything else, but I'm not about to apologize for that. A fun read is a good read, in my opinion.

Urban fantasy seems to be populated by a lot of vampires. Some sparkle, some don't. Some are intense, brooding, and mysterious. Others are shallow, acerbic, and conceited to a point of parody. I like the ones in between, which seems to be where Jaye Wells is coming from. There's a good blend of humor, action, and emotion. And if her second novel can carry on at the same level as--or better than--her first, then I'll be a happy camper.

Did you read Red-Headed Stepchild? Did you like it enough to put the sequel on your wish list?

4 comments:

  1. I can't really read about or watch sparkly vampires without chuckling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't read it, but you make it sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey. I don't normally leave comments, but I just wanted to say thanks for the great information. I have a blog too, though
    I don't write as good as you do, but if you want to check it out here it is. Thanks again and have a great day!

    Retribution Paladin PvP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremy - Sparkly vampires just bore me. Nothing humorous to be found.

    Lee - It's not Hemmingway, but the first book was a fun read.

    Anon - Ummm. Thanks?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...