November 1, 2009

Chasing Tale: October '09

World War Z by Max Brooks - Celia, over at The Adventures of Cecelia, was charitable enough to mail me this book after she had finished reading it. What a peach. Her, not the book. Oh, I'm sure I'll have a positive reaction to this zombie novel too, but I suspect my adjectives for it will be less ... Rockwellian. I didn't make time to read it for Halloween, but I haven't set in stone my reading shortlist for Christmas. Oooh, I love the holidays.

The Turn of the Screw (and Other Short Novels) by Henry James - This is one of those classic pieces of literature I read back in high school, but I remember practically nothing of it. That's the case with a few of the books I read as a teen, the substance eroded from memory. But I think I will have to give it another go, as I have a DVD copy of The Innocents (an 1960s adaptation of the novel) on hold at the library. I'd like to get reacquainted with the book before watching a film based on it.

Ouroboros by Michael Kelly and Carol Weekes - My first e-book. Well, I read one a few years ago by a former Scientologist, but I don't think I'm allowed to talk about that one or the ghost of L. Ron Hubbard may unleash his alien cabal of lawyers upon me. In any event, Carol Weekes was gracious enough to convince Bloodletting Press to afford me an ARC of this new novel for review, which should have been posted on this blog on Halloween. If it's not there yet, it should pop up this week. Read this book--I command you.

Audrey's Door by Sarah Langan - I've had the chance to read a couple of Langan's short stories, and I liked what I read. After spying a couple of reviews for this promising novel, I threw my name in the hat for a copy through book blogs--no dice. But, there's more than one way to skin a cat. An errand was paid in the form of this novel after a visit to an indy bookstore. Saw Where The Wild Things Are on the front counter too, but didn't buy it. I'm thirty-three and childless ... I'll watch the movie instead.

Come Out Tonight by Richard Laymon - The Laymonites of the world would no better than I as to whether this is a notable work by their idol. Put a woman alone in a house fretting over her man who should have come back from the convenience long ago, then send her out into the night after she hears in the distance what she thought was a gunshot. Yup, I think this may end up being some classic Laymon fare.

The Devil's Company by David Liss - I won this through the Eclectic Book Lover. The third in a series of historical mysteries, the plot sounded intriguing, prompting me to enter the contest and win. I had a chance to read the second book, A Spectacle of Corruption, which I found a little underwhelming. I am cautiously optimistic, however, that I'll still enjoy this one. Maybe historical mysteries aren't my bag.

Possessions by James A. Moore - I listened to a podcast interview with this author on Diabolical Radio. I liked what I heard, so while I was out trolling a used-book store I saw they had this tale of terror. The premise looks promising enough, so I picked it up to add to my TBR pile. It's published by Leisure Books too, which I've discovered comprises a great many of the horror novels sitting on my shelf, as well as those on my wish list.

Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons - Lo and behold, another Simmons novel in the used-book stores. That's three this year, which practically makes it an epidemic. This one's a "thickspread" too at well over eight hundred pages. It's got vampires apparently, and I'm willing to bet they don't sparkle. Still no sign of Song of Kali, though.

Ghost Story by Peter Straub - I have had this novel on my wish list ever since I read Shadowland. It seems that many fans of Straub point to Ghost Story as one of his very best novels, and after hearing the premise--"the small town of Milburn is pitted against a macabre force of terror and chaos"--I instantly wanted to read it. The owner of my local used-book shop was charitable enough to hang on to an '79 paperback of it for me at no charge. Free book? Yes, please.

Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson - I've started into Wilson's Adversary Cycle series of books, starting with The Keep. That gave me a want to look for some of his other works. During the same visit that scored me the Moore novel, I spotted this stand-alone novel by Wilson. I find so many of the books I'm reading this year are the first books of trilogies and series, I have come to really appreciate a good stand-alone story. I'll keep my fingers crossed on this one.

And that wraps up my acquisitions for the past month. November should start off on the right foot, as Lisa Mannetti is sending me a review copy of her Bram Stoker Award winner, Gentling Box.That one is going to the tippy-top of the to-be-read pile.

2 comments:

regularrumination said...

I love WWZ. Mostly because it felt way too real!

Rabid Fox said...

Yeah, I have my fingers crossed on that one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...