October 14, 2009

Wish List Wednesday #16: "Whitechapel Gods"

Unless Starfinder or The Golden Compass count, I can't say I've read a single steampunk novel yet. It's something that I plan to remedy before year's end. And while I've been told S.M. Peters' Whitechapel Gods isn't a great place to get your feet wet for the first time in the sub-genre, the premise and the cover are too enticing.

Set in an alternate London, a disease called "The Clacks" is spreading. The twist here is that it turns its victims into machines. Alrighty then, that's got my attention. I imagine the whole thing of late 19th century/early 20th century settings, the machines are more coal and steam powered, which will add a very dark and sinister element to the story.

Whether this novel ends up being my foray into reading steampunk or not, I'm not overly concerned. I'll be reading this one at some point I'm sure, and if I come across stuff by China Mieville's Perdido Street Station or maybe Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, so be it.

Are you a fan of steampunk? Any suggestions on which novel I should start out with?

2 comments:

  1. I think Pullman's novels definitely count as steampunk. But maybe that's just me... I'm reading Leviathan and Soulless in the next couple of weeks - I'll let you know if they're worth the bother. :) And Cherie Priest's Boneshaker looks pretty awesome too. Good luck and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Leviathan looks great. Haven't heard of Soulless, though. What's that one about?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...