August 28, 2009

Meme, Myself, and I: The Interview

I forget now where Steph Su came across this viral bit of interviewing, but it's my turn now to sit in the hot seat and answer some questions. For a clue as to what this is, you can find Steph's original post on this HERE. The premise is simple, she asks five questions and I answer them. I post the answers here on my blog, notify her, and at the same time open it up for readers of my blog to ask to be asked five questions by me. A kind of daisy chain approach to blog relations. Heck, it's a good way to waste time.

Steph provided me with eight questions from which to choose my five, so here they are in no particular order. And, for future reference, if anyone asks to be asked questions by yours truly, I'll do my best to come up with five more unique ones to those I've answers and Steph answered on her blog.

Question #1: In a horrible alternate universe your house burns down. Which three things would you save from the blaze?

Answer: While the computer is an easy answer, it's about five years old and I would not be opposed to the chance at getting a replacement due to fire. So, let it burn. What would be absolutely indispensable, however, would be my thumb drive. I keep a back up of all of my creative writing, research articles, podcasts, and other writing related tidbits stored on the little device. Secondly, I would have to save the photo album with all my early childhood pictures. Raised in the age before digital cameras, photographs were not treated so frivolously. There are some treasured pictures of my parents and grandparents that I would want to keep in the family, so I would definitely have to save them. And the third item? While I love books, I have no rare ones I cannot bear to part with. Ultimately, they're all replaceable, so let them fuel the fire. The third thing would have to be my father's wedding ring. After he died, my mother gave it to me. My hands are not small, but even my fingers were dwarfed by his. It fits loosely on my middle finger, but I keep it on a necklace and wear it around my neck on the days I do wear it. That's the big keeper, I suppose.

Question #2: Which books or authors would you recommend to a friend who wants to start reading YA?

Answer: I've sung his praise more than once, but I have to say Phillip Pullman. The His Dark Materials trilogy is about as close to a masterpiece, as most can in YA fantasy. I would also have to say Roald Dahl is a close second, thanks to how The Witches haunted me for years after I read it as a little boy.

Question #3: Who would play you in a movie about your life?

Answer: My boring life would need someone with some improvisational skills, plus a doughy lovable face. My vote would to Seth Rogan.

Question #4: One oft overlooked book that you think deserves more attention?

Answer: It was a best-seller, as are 99.9% of Stephen King's novels, but it was also panned by many as a weaker, abbreviated version of The Stand. I'm referring to Cell, which remains one of my favorite horror novels. It doesn't need any more sales, but I think a tad more open-mindedness would be nice.

Question #5: Without giving away any spoilers, what book ending would you change if you could, and, if possible to answer without revealing any spoilers, what would you change it to?

Answer: Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men. Blasphemous antics to tamper with such a great story, I admit, but for those of you who have read it may agree with me that Llewelyn's wife (or was she his girlfriend?) caught a bad break towards the end of the story. I would remedy that out of purely sympathetic motivations and bleeding-heartedness.

There, that wasn't so hard. Thanks for lobbing those softballs, Steph.

Now, it's your turn. If you're interested in getting asked five questions by me to post on your own blog, all to keep this little daisy chain moving along, just post a comment with the words "interview me." Be sure to provide me with an e-mail address, so I can send you the five questions. Once you've received them, and answered them to your own satisfaction, post them on your blog then send me an e-mail or add another comment on my blog with a link to it. I'll then add the links to this blog entry or create an entirely new one to highlight everyone's answers.

NOTE: Since my access to the Internet has been a little more limited than usual lately, I may not be so immediate in my response.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...