July 18, 2009

Why Do Earwigs Exist?

If all of God's creatures have a useful purpose—a rightful place, as it were—on this planet, then someone please explain to me just what the hell kind of purpose God had in mind for the earwig.

A lot of bugs, insects, and creepy crawly things I can handle. There is a short-list, however, of some critters that I very much dislike. Near the top of the list is the earwig. I grew up in a rural area where the little bastards would seek shelter in whatever damp, dark nook the house or barns had to offer. I still remember heading out to the shed for an armload of firewood, only to lift a piece and find a small nesting of the things bundled up like in a writhing swarm. Blargh!

I'm not a big fan of bees, but they have a purpose. Mosquitoes annoy the heck out of me, but they even serve a purpose. But what in the blue hell does an earwig do besides gross me out?

I only rant about them like this since a couple of weeks of sporadic showers have brought the things into the house. I have killed well over twenty of them in the kitchen over the past week. I even had to get a new toothbrush when I found two squirming on my old one when I went to brush my teeth one night. I wanted to fumigate the entire block after that visual image burned into my mind.

Kill 'em all.

8 comments:

celi.a said...

I feel the same way about roaches. Ergh!

Bella said...

I shall have to wiki an earwig, as I'm not sure what they are!!!

But I hear you. I moved from Australia to Canada and I was so glad to get away from all the bugs, toads, snakes and creepy-crawlies! eeek.

P.S. Love the new banner, looks great :)

Catherine J Gardner said...

All insects must die... *Shiver*.

onipar... said...

That sounds like about the worst thing ever. I actually can't picture what an earwig looks like, but I can see why you hate them.

Especially the little bugger who got on your toothbrush.

Rabid Fox said...

Here's a pic to check out, if you're unfamiliar with earwigs. Imagine a little critter about an inch long and ugly as sin.

http://fragilex.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/earwig.jpg

Unknown said...

THOUSAND LEGGERS are much, much worse!

highwayknees said...

Earwigs are baddies, as are roaches and potato bugs...But recently I have found the topper for that list in a bug that has seemed to hop a boat and infiltrate No. America from So. America. It is called the House Centipede. But it desn't look like the grden variety i was familar with as a child. This sucker is scary ! For one thing it's bigger has huge antennae, and scuttles VERY fast, instead of winding along like the usual of its kind. Look it up and prepare to cringe! Oh , and it bites. So there's that.

Gef Fox said...

EW. Those things are nasty, all right, and the YouTube vids of insect death matches aren't gonna help me sleep at night.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...